Facing an unplanned pregnancy can feel like a complete crisis. If you are in this position right now, you may be feeling overwhelmed, scared, and all alone. You may be wondering what your options are, and where you can turn to for help. If you are pregnant in Maryland, you have come to the right place. Adoptions With Love can offer the support you need.
As you begin to search for pregnancy help in Maryland, keep in mind that you are not alone. There are many people facing a similar situation. In fact, about half of all pregnancies in the U.S. each year are unplanned. You are not alone.
As an expectant mother, it is important to consider your options. While you may not have planned for this baby, you can make a plan for what happens next. In Maryland, you have several pregnancy options.
There is no single, right choice – only you can decide what’s right for you and your baby. There are support groups and counselors, however, that can help walk you through your options so that you can make your decision with confidence. Adoptions With Love believes that all expectant/birth parents should be empowered to make an informed decision when it comes to their pregnancy. Here is a quick outline of your options.
Your Pregnancy Options in Maryland
If you are pregnant in Maryland, you can choose between the following options:
Details regarding each option are below.
For some expectant parents, it is natural to consider parenting their child. This is a decision – like all three listed above – that must be made carefully. Parenthood is a lifetime commitment that requires a lot of time, money, and energy.
The average cost of raising a child from birth through age 18 has exceeded $300,000 in recent months, due to inflation and skyrocketing childcare and food costs. Further, Maryland ranks among the top 10 most expensive states to raise a child, according to a recent report.
If you are considering parenting your baby in Maryland, it is important to consider these costs and prepare in advance. Parenting a child is feasible, if you have support, finances, childcare options, and a safe place for your child to grow.
While the 2022 U.S. Supreme Court overturning of Roe v. Wade has changed a lot of abortion rights throughout the country, abortion in Maryland remains legal. Those who are pregnant in Maryland can terminate their pregnancy until the point of fetal viability. This means up until the fetus can survive outside of the womb, typically around 23-24 weeks of gestation.
If you do not wish to – or cannot – get an abortion, but you are not yet ready for parenthood, there is still another option: adoption.
Adoption is the process of placing your baby with another family, who is ready to love and raise a child. While this is a difficult decision for expectant/birth mothers, it is a brave, positive and loving choice.
Adoption is a selfless decision that requires much thought and consideration. If you are thinking about making an adoption plan for your child, it means you are ready to put their needs above your own. Adoption is not the right choice for everyone, but if it is something you are considering, then you will be happy to know that it is something that offers plenty of benefits for everyone involved – including you, the birth mother.
Birth mothers who have placed their child/children for adoption experience a wide range of emotions. While there is a period of grief and profound sense of loss, there is also the hope for a bright future ahead. Open adoption means that birth parents and adoptive families can continue to communicate throughout the child’s upbringing. This gives birth mothers a sense of comfort knowing they will not have to say “goodbye forever” once the adoption is complete.
Birth mothers can also be comforted to know their child is growing up in a loving home that is safe, stable, and full of opportunities. While your child is enjoying a life that is often a happy one (most children in open adoptions report having positive feelings toward their adoption), you can move on to pursue your own goals – both personal and professional.
Pregnancy Resources in Maryland
Seeking out pregnancy help in Maryland can feel intimidating. The good news, however, is there is help out there for you. With the support of a private, domestic adoption agency, you can learn about your various options and make a decision in the best interest of you and your baby. An adoption agency is there to provide unbiased counseling and support, and to teach you about each choice. You should never feel pressured to make any decision. This is your choice.
There are also medical offices and support groups in Maryland that can help you if you choose to terminate your pregnancy. In addition, there are plenty of support groups if you decide to parent your child. Below are some other available pregnancy resources for you:
- The state of Maryland has a Help Line for those that are pregnant in Maryland. Call 1-800-456-8900 if you need medical assistance and in need of information. You can also visit this website to learn more about the support offered to pregnant people at the Maryland Department of Health.
- The Pregnancy Aid Center is also available to help. This women’s health clinic serves Maryland expectant mothers who are in need of support and care.
- HealthCare Access Maryland (HCAM) can also help support you during – and after – your pregnancy. This group helps those who are interested in parenting their child, offering home visits, mom clubs, and doulas. This group works to connect pregnant women with programs and services available – including the Women, Infants & Children (WIC) supplemental nutrition program.
- The June Coleman Fund is part of a National Network of Abortion Funds available to those pregnant in Maryland who wish to have an abortion but cannot, otherwise, afford it. Visit the Planned Parenthood website or call 410-576-1414 to learn more.
If you are considering adoption, you will want to connect with a reputable, experienced Maryland adoption agency that can offer you support throughout – and after – your pregnancy. At Adoptions With Love, expectant/birth mothers are provided with the following free services:
- Financial assistance with utilities, phone bills, and even maternity clothes, as needed.
- Support designing your adoption plan. We offer the option to choose and meet the family that will adopt your baby.
- Housing assistance. We can cover a deposit and several months of rent.
- Complete counseling services by compassionate and experienced professionals – before and up to a year after birth.
- Medical care. If you do not already have a doctor, we will help you find a doctor or midwife with whom you feel comfortable. The full services of a hospital with a supportive staff will be there for you at the time of delivery. Adoptions With Love will cover any uninsured medical expenses when you complete the adoption.
- Legal assistance provided by experienced lawyers who specialize in adoption in Maryland.
- Ongoing contact through pictures and letters from the adoptive family of your child over the years. These letters and pictures are always available to you if and when you want them.
If you want to learn more about the pregnancy help in Maryland available at Adoptions With Love, contact us any time. We are always here to listen, educate, and help with your adoption plan. Call us at 800-722-7731, text us confidentially at 617-777-0072, or contact us online. We can help give you the support you need during this trying time with all of the compassion, respect, and judgment-free help you deserve.