Questions Birth Parents Ask
- What will my child think of me?Making an adoption plan is a special way of showing love to your child. You gave the child the gift of life, while putting his or her needs first with a future filled with opportunities. This will be explained to your child as he or she grows and develops. You will not be forgotten. We know from our adoptees, now young adults, who have told us that they are thankful their birthparents gave them the opportunity for a wonderful life.
- Who are the families adopting through Adoptions With Love?For your peace of mind and the welfare of the child, we carefully screen every prospective parent. We visit their homes and run FBI background checks. They are all healthy and financially secure. Since we are a small, personalized agency, we know all our parents extremely well. You can trust that your child will be raised in a loving and safe home, with a multitude of opportunities in life.
- What kind of help will I receive from Adoptions With Love?Adoptions With Love offers you medical care, counseling, and maternity-related expenses such as rent, transportation, utilities, maternity clothing, and food allowance. We will continue to assist you financially for 6 to 8 weeks after the adoption. We work hard to take care of your needs.
- Can I choose the adoptive parents for my baby?Of course! We will talk with you about your special preferences for an adoptive family, such as religious beliefs, siblings, or a family with a stay-at-home parent. You can review details such as letters, pictures, and written information about fully-screened families who meet your personal choices. You will be given the opportunity to evaluate detailed photo albums complete with letters from the prospective parents. You can meet them in person before or after the birth of your child. In some situations, you may decide to leave the choice of an adoptive family to us.
- Can I choose an open or a closed adoption?Definitely! You can choose the degree of openness or have a completely closed adoption if you wish. You can meet the family or never have contact at all. You will decide what is best for your peace of mind.
- What will happen before the baby is born?A highly skilled, caring adoption counselor will meet with you in total confidentiality at your convenience. You can also meet with a lawyer who specializes in adoption. You may select the adoptive family for your baby or leave that up to us. If you wish, you can meet the family you have chosen prior to the baby’s birth or speak with them on the phone.
- What will happen when I go into labor?No matter what time of day or night, it is important to contact Adoptions With Love and let us know you are going to the hospital. Our toll-free number is 1-800-722-7731, but you will also have the personal cell phone number of the counselor you are working with. There is always a caring person who will answer your call, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- What will happen after the baby is born?Most women stay in the hospital for 24 to 48 hours after delivery, and you can have as much contact with your baby as you wish. Your adoption counselor will visit you to discuss your feelings and help you arrange plans for the adoption. You may request that the adoptive family spend time with you in the hospital.
- Who will know about my adoption plan?Everything is kept private and confidential. It is up to you to share your adoption plan with family or friends.
- What help can I receive from Adoptions With Love after my baby is adopted?We are committed to you throughout the adoption process as well as afterward. We do not disappear. Adoption counseling services are available to you and we will pay for $1,000 of your counseling bills up to a year after the adoption. We continue to maintain contact with birth parents who have made adoption plans with AWL over the last 33 years.
- How can I reach Adoptions With Love?Call us anytime. An experienced counselor is available to speak with you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In most cases, you may be put right through on the phone or you can leave a private message. You can also text us confidentially. When we return your call, we do not say we are calling from an adoption agency.
We care about you and know that adoption is a difficult decision. We would like to get to know you and help you.
Please feel free to call Amy, Nancy, Jess, Kelly, or Brittany at 1-800-722-7731 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or complete the contact form by clicking the button below. We will be in touch with you shortly. We care about you and your baby.Contact Us
Thank you so much for all your help; I couldn’t have chosen a better agency.” – Katrina, a birth mother who made a plan with Adoptions With Love