Facing an unplanned pregnancy usually means facing a very difficult decision: What do you do next? If you are not yet ready to parent, you may be considering alternative options. While termination may seem like the fastest route, maybe you feel in your heart it is not right for you or maybe it is no longer an option for you. You may be interested to learn about the benefits of adoption. Adoption can bring you peace of mind, as it allows you to give your child a safe, stable, and loving home. It also gives you the chance to iron out your life, to continue working and going to school, and to pursue your own dreams.
While adoption is not the right path for everyone, it is well worth the consideration. The advantages of adoption can certainly be substantial. Those who work closely with women expecting a baby, such as Adoptions With Love, understand the magnitude of the decision to place a baby for adoption. It is one that must be carefully thought out, and cannot be rushed or forced. Many young women face this decision every day. In fact, one in four women get pregnant before their 20th birthday. Many of these women, however, are unaware of the benefits of adoption – at least at first.
Even though it may not seem like an ideal situation, adoption is a wonderful choice for those facing an unplanned pregnancy. There are advantages not just for you, but also for your child and his or her adoptive parents. Our free eBook, “The Benefits of Adoption,” explores these positive outcomes in depth. Below, we outline some of the benefits of adoption for birth mothers specifically.
Advantages of Adoption
Sometimes, when a woman is facing an unplanned pregnancy, she may not be able to imagine getting an abortion, but she knows she is just not able to – or not ready – to become a parent and raise a child. This is when adoption often becomes the “right” choice. Should you decide to make an adoption plan for your child, you may enjoy the following advantages:
- The ability to continue to work toward both personal and professional goals. An unplanned pregnancy can halt your plans toward a happy and successful future. Your education, career, and relationships may be altered as a result.
- Peace of mind, knowing your child is safe and living in a stable, loving home. With a credible adoption agency such as Adoptions With Love, you can rest assured your child will be placed with a happy family that has prepared for years to raise a child. They have gone through a thorough interview and home study process, as well as a series of background checks to ensure the safety and stability of their home. As an expectant/birth mother, you will be able to hand-select the parents to raise your child, if you wish. So you can find the people you feel are best suited for the job, whose beliefs and lifestyle align with the life you envision for your baby.
- Most adoptions today are open, allowing birth mothers to remain in contact with the adoptive family and, oftentimes, child. As a part of the adoption process, you can determine the amount, style, and frequency of contact you will have with your child’s family. At Adoptions With Love, all waiting adoptive families agree to at least a semi-open adoption, which involves the exchange of letters and pictures over the years. The plans for communication can evolve as the child grows, but the agreements are made in a contract between birth and adoptive parents. Of course, should you feel that a closed adoption is better for you, your adoption agency can help you come to that decision, as well.
- There is no financial cost to place a baby for adoption. When you feel that the world is on your shoulders in making this overwhelming decision, the last thing you should worry about are your finances or how you will pay for this pregnancy. Which leads us to…
- Private adoption agencies offer free counseling and legal services, cover healthcare costs, and even help pay for rent, utilities, and other maternity-related expenses. You are in good hands with a fully-licensed, private adoption agency. Should you need help paying for your living expenses, including phone bill and maternity clothes, your adoption agency will be there to help. You will be supported both emotionally and financially during this trying time. You can learn about Adoptions With Love’s services for expectant/birth mothers here.
In a study on Family Planning Perspectives in the late ‘80s, researchers found that women who opted to place their babies for adoption enjoyed more success later in life than those who chose to be single parents. According to the study, the birth mothers who chose adoption were:
- Less likely to live in poverty and relieve public assistance
- More likely to finish school
- More likely to be employed a year after giving birth
- More likely to delay marriage and other children
- More likely to marry and less likely to divorce
The fact that you are reading this means that you are taking the time to consider placing your baby for adoption. You are likely feeling overwhelmed, and nervous about your future. These are all completely normal emotions. Of course, it is also important to remember that carrying your child to term, giving birth, and placing him or her for adoption is an incredible thing to do. It is a decision born from love, courage, and great unselfishness. You likely want the best possible life for your child, and making an adoption plan is a great way to accomplish that goal.
Most adopted children today know that they were adopted, and most of them lead very happy lives, as well as express happiness with their adoption. A private adoption agency, such as Adoptions With Love, can offer free counseling services 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to help guide you through this experience and be a shoulder upon which to lean. Our caring staff can help you work through your fears, concerns, and many emotions regarding your pregnancy and adoption journey.
Learn more about the options you have with adoption by contacting Adoptions With Love today. You may also download our free guide, “The Benefits of Adoption” below.