Facing an unplanned pregnancy is an overwhelming experience. You did not plan to be in this position, and you are now faced with a major life decision. It is important to remember, that you do have options. You have the power to make a responsible choice. There is no right or wrong answer. You can take your time in making the decision that is right for you and your baby.
One of your options is adoption. Adoption is a positive decision that is made with love, selflessness, and hopes for a brighter future. You are not “giving up,” you are making a loving choice for your child to have a life beyond what you are able to provide at this time.
If you are considering placing your child for adoption, you may be asking yourself, “Who will adopt my baby?” You may be wondering what types of families are out there, and why they are looking to adopt. While the thought of placing your baby with another family can be nerve-racking, rest assured – you have the option to choose the perfect family for your baby.
Starting with a Trustworthy Adoption Agency
Your first step in the adoption process will be to find a reputable adoption agency with whom you feel comfortable. Adoptions With Love is a private, domestic, non-profit adoption agency that has been working with expectant/birth mothers just like you for over 34 years. Our caring staff will take the time to sit with you to discuss your options, without any judgment or pressure. We will support you, no matter what you choose in the end. If you decide that adoption is not the best path for you, that is okay. We will never push you towards any one decision. Our job is to offer support and guidance throughout the adoption process.
If you decide to make an adoption plan, we will help you choose the perfect family for you baby. All of our prospective families undergo thorough screenings and background checks to ensure that they can offer a safe, stable, and loving home for any child. We will also extend many, other free adoption services to you, including:
- Financial assistance with rent, utilities, maternity clothes, etc. as needed
- Medical care
- Counseling – before and after birth
- Designing your adoption plan
- And more
Finding a Family to Adopt Your Baby
After choosing an adoption agency, you have the power to choose your child’s adoptive family. Adoptions With Love can provide you with profiles of families waiting to adopt a child. These profiles highlight the family’s background and provide basic information about the family—such as what they do for work, their religious beliefs, hobbies, reasons for adoption, and much more. The profiles also include family photo albums so that you can see who may be adopting your baby. Your adoption agency can work with you to fulfill any wishes you have for your child, to make sure you find the perfect family.
Who is looking to adopt? Adoptive families come from all different backgrounds, genders, religious beliefs, ethnicities, and sexualities. There are heterosexual couples, same-sex couples, interracial couples, and single parents looking to adopt a baby. If you say to yourself, “I would like to find a family to adopt my baby, but I would like them to have a similar ethnic background,” that is okay. Adoptions With Love will listen to your desires and help you find the family that you want for your child.
Making a Connection and a Plan
When you find a family you like, you can speak with them before making your final decision – either by email, phone, or even an in-person visit. Your adoption agency will arrange everything and make sure you are comfortable with the arrangement ahead of time.
You may also choose to keep the lines of communication open with the adoptive family after the adoption is finalized. This is called an open adoption. Its meaning can be different for everyone, but most adoptions today are open. In fact, 95 percent of adoptions are open, and most adopted children say they are happy with their open adoption. You may decide you would like email updates, or perhaps a phone call once or twice a year. Some adoptive families even form a great bond with their child’s birth mother and plan in-person reunions each year. The form and frequency of communication is completely up to you. Every hopeful adoptive family at Adoptions With Love agrees to at least a semi-open adoption, so you never have to worry about losing touch with your child’s adoptive family.
If you decide that you do not wish to speak with or meet the adoptive family ahead of time, that is okay, too. Some expectant/birth mothers decide to keep the adoption closed. If you feel that this will be the best path for you, Adoptions With Love will fully support and respect your decision. We do, however, keep photos and family updates on file should you change your mind and wish to open the adoption later.
When you think, “who will adopt my baby,” you may also wonder:
- Do I have the ability to choose the best family for my baby? That answer is definitely yes.
- How will I be able to view the family? Adoptions With Love will provide you with a great deal of information about the adoptive family through photo albums and letters.
- Can I meet the family in person? Of course you can. It is very understandable that you may want this important opportunity.
- Can this adoption be an “open adoption”? Yes, but this means different things to different people so we want to be very clear what “open adoption” means to you. Letters and pictures over 18 years? A face to face meeting over the years? Ongoing emails? You decide.
- What if I don’t wish to choose the family or meet them in person? This is fine too. Again, you are the one with many choices. Meeting the adoptive family is not for everyone. Some people like their privacy and choose the option of closed adoption.
- Can I write a letter to my child and/or send a gift? Definitely! Over the 34 years that Adoptions With Love has been working in adoptions, many young people have come back to see if their birth parents would be interested in knowing more about them. They have commented how nice it has been to have a letter from their birth parent and how they treasure that.
When you consider adoption as a positive choice for an unplanned pregnancy, you can be in charge of who will adopt your baby. This is YOUR adoption plan. You can make it with the guidance of a skilled adoption professional that has your best interest in mind. At Adoptions With Love, we are here for you with care, compassion, and professionalism. Adoption is a journey through life and we are here for you now and in the future.
If you would like to learn more about the adoption process, feel free to reach out to Adoptions With Love any time. Our loving staff is available to speak with you any day of the week, any time of day. Call us at 1-800-722-7731, text us confidentially at 617-777-0072, or contact us online.