Choosing adoption is a loving, yet lifelong decision. As an expectant/birth parent, it is important to know you are making an adoption plan for the right reasons. In this article, we will explore some of the many reasons an expectant/birth mother might choose adoption as a positive alternative for her baby. We will also walk you through some of the many reasons a family will choose to adopt.
Reasons Why Birth Parents Choose Adoption:
There are many reasons why a woman might choose to make an adoption plan. In most cases, it is because she is not in the right time or the right place to parent – she may feel too young, in school, or not ready at this stage of her life to have a baby. She may be lacking financial stability, emotional support, or a safe home to care for her child. Often a woman is parenting several children on her own, has an unintended pregnancy, and makes an adoption plan because it in the best interests of ALL her children. Sometimes, major life events occur and make it very difficult to raise a child. Most of the time, the reason is lies in wanting to provide the best possible life for her baby.
If you are considering adoption for your child, take some time to ask yourself “why.” Know that everyone has different reasons for choosing adoption, and yours will be completely unique to you. Below we have compiled some of the top reasons why expectant/birth parents choose adoption:
- They are not ready to become parents just yet – Though pregnancy can happen at any reproductive age, unintended pregnancies are most common among young women from ages 18 to 25. Women of this age are typically in college, working full- or part-time, or graduating from school and looking for a steady job. While situations do vary, these years are usually a transitional time. It is when most young women are starting to make life changes and decisions regarding their futures. A young mother may feel she is not ready to parent a child, thinking her age will put both her and her child at a disadvantage. Sometimes, expectant/birth mothers have other goals they want to accomplish before becoming a parent. This is completely normal.
- They cannot afford to raise a child – There is no doubt that being a parent is expensive. Today, raising a child through age 18 costs parents an average of $233,610. This does not include any expenses before the birth, such as prenatal care. Many women will choose adoption because they are not financially prepared to support a child, or another child if they are already raising one or several children. Some are facing financial hardships and know they cannot provide adequate food, child care, and the basic necessities (such as diapers) their child needs to grow. By choosing adoption, they can ensure their child’s needs are met or exceeded. Adoption is completely free for expectant/birth mothers, and uninsured maternity-related expenses are typically covered for those who make an adoption plan.
- They want their child to have the best – Expectant/birth parents often say their main reason for choosing adoption is to give their baby the best possible life they can give. By choosing adoption, they can ensure that their child’s basic needs will be met and that he or she will be granted so many other things, too, such as proper healthcare, a stable home in a safe neighborhood, and a good education. Expectant / birth mothers want their child to have many opportunities in life that they are not in a position to give. Adoption allows expectant/birth parents to realize their dreams for their child, and to give their child a future beyond what they can provide at the time.
- Their home life and/or relationship is unstable – Some expectant/birth parents do not have support from their families or from the father of their babies. Some have unstable, shaky home lives or live in an environment that is not adequate to raise a child. If this sounds familiar, know that you are not alone. Adoptions With Love extends our support and our services to you.
- They are already struggling to raise a child – Most women who make an adoption plan are already parenting children. Some lack the appropriate resources and finances to raise another baby. Some feel that parenting another child will affect their ability to care for the children they already have. As a result, they choose to make an adoption plan.
Reasons Why Adoptive Parents Choose Adoption:
Adoptions With Love understands how important it is to find a loving and stable home for your baby. We know that you want to find an adoptive family that will not only provide for your child, but also support him or her financially, mentally, and emotionally over the years.
We want to assure you that the waiting families at Adoptions With Love have come to us fully ready and able to commit to a child for life. They all dream of becoming parents and raising a child with all the love and care they can possibly give. However, for the majority of our families, parenting would otherwise be impossible without adoption. Here are the top reasons families choose to grow through adoption:
- Infertility – The majority of couples who choose adoption are infertile. This means that they are unable to conceive a baby on their own. Some couples will seek medical treatments, such as in vitro fertilization (IVF), however, only 30 to 35 percent of women under 35-years-old will become pregnant though IVF. These chances grow smaller as women grow older.
- Pregnancy complications – Some families choose adoption when they wish to become parents, but are at high risk for pregnancy complications. They may have had serious difficulties during a previous pregnancy and do not want to risk the experience again. For these people, adoption is a safer option and offers greater peace of mind.
- Same-gender couples – Many gay and lesbian couples, especially those that are married, will choose adoption as a way to complete their families.
- Single parents – There are many single women who do not have a Mr. Right, but still wish to become parents with all their hearts. The single parents at Adoptions With Love are fully ready to become parents: having stable, successful careers, safe home environments, and flexible schedules to meet the needs of their children.
Adoptions With Love helps expectant/birth parents nationwide make the best possible choices for their children. We can help you work through your reasons for considering adoption, explore all of your pregnancy options, and design the perfect adoption plan. Call us toll-free at 800-722-7731 or text us confidentially at 617-777-0072 to speak with one of our compassionate counselors.