Open adoption can mean something different to each person involved in adoption. At Adoptions with Love, you can design the type of open adoption plan that works best for you.
For many expectant/birth parents, open adoption involves:
- Selecting the adoptive family for their child
- Communicating directly with the family and/or meeting them prior to the birth
- Maintaining a relationship with the adoptive family over the years
Many women who have established an open and trusting relationship with the prospective adoptive family invite them to be at the hospital or in the birthing room. In the hospital, you can decide how much you want to see your baby and care for him or her, and whether you would like to allow the adoptive family to be there with you. Prior to the birth of your baby, we will work on a hospital plan so that you can think about how open you want the hospital experience to be.
As an open adoption agency, every prospective adoptive family at Adoptions With Love agrees to a semi-open adoption. In this electronic age, openness will constantly change. Most families are open to some direct ongoing communication with the birth parents over the years. At Adoptions With Love:
- Letters and pictures are exchanged through the agency on a regular basis. Some people choose to send letters and pictures directly to each other.
- Some birth and adoptive families opt for a more open adoption with direct communication via email, texting, telephone calls, and face-to-face meetings.
- The staff at Adoptions With Love will help you negotiate the type of open adoption plan you want. We write contracts that are legal and binding, but that also leave room for renegotiation over the years.
We all like to maintain contact and know how everyone is doing over the years. Birth parents say that it gives them peace of mind to know how their child is growing and developing. Adoptive parents love to share their love, joy, and pride in their child. Research indicates that some form of an open relationship has a positive impact on a child’s adjustment.
What is most important in establishing an open adoption agreement is the best interests of the child. The child’s emotional needs will change over the years. When the adoptive person is a teenager or adult, he or she will decide what type of relationship he or she wants to have with their birth family. Adoptions with Love will always be an open adoption agency that is there and ready to help. We have a very active search and reunion program that grows every day. Over the years we are committed to helping birth and adoptive families maintain respectful relationships.
No two people are alike. An open adoption that works for you will give you peace of mind when you make a courageous decision to make an adoption plan for your child.